Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Hello

After I'd griped -- again -- about some of the stuff I deal with regarding my 75-year-old mother, a Facebook friend suggested I blog about it. Of course this person went the flattery route, saying I could do it humorously (I do tend to troll for laughs, I admit) and could give voice to an all-too-common problem. Sold!
So, here it is -- Elder Whine -- a bad (or good? I like it anyways) pun on elderberry wine, which seems to be something more elderly folks drink and, yeah, whining about older folks.
That's not to say I don't love or respect my elders. Older people have a lot of wisdom and great stories, but when a person who is very hard of hearing refuses to get a hearing aid and mishears a lot of what I say (like my mother does) even when they can afford it (like my mother can), I can't help but want to scream.
So this is a place for me to vent about some of the issues I'm dealing with when it comes to my mom: the hard-of-hearing times, the bouts of dementia, and the plain old wild talk she throws my way. Some days she's good and fun to be around, and others, I want to put her in a home, ASAP.
And I should note one thing: My mother is a supreme eccentric. Whether it's due to real eccentricities or it's a mask for potential bipolar and narcissism, I'll leave that to a therapist to judge, by my mom is a fountain of odd and colorful stories.
Here's a tidbit: She was busted for a DUI in the mid 1980s, and had to go to Alcoholics Anonymous as part of her treatment. There, she picked up drinking buddies. That's nothing to do with her 70-something partially senile self, but it's some of the foundation.
There'll be plenty more to come, I assure you of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment